As I am sitting here with with my boys at home, due to 2 hour snow delay, we will be chatting about……. BATHING SUITS today. Believe it or not, now is the time to shop for them, while the selection is plentiful and you can choose one that flatters you in a in a color or pattern you love, and not what is left over on a picked through sales rack. I am leaving for a girls’ trip to the Bahamas next week, so I did all of the hard work for you and culled some of the best, most flattering and affordable bathing suits around right now. Believe me when I tell you, I am super picky and these suits are all very flattering and offer enough coverage in all the right places, without looking to matronly or old lady-ish. Because I don’t know about you, but personally, even though I am a mom of 2 teenage boys, I still want to look & feel cute in a swimsuit. I am also sharing some of my best tips for making the process fun, instead of cringe worthy.
THE MOST FLATTERING & AFFORDABLE BATHING SUITS FOR MOMS
HOW TO FIND A BATHING SUIT YOU WILL LOVE:
Order many of them, in different styles, colors and sizes. (I am a different size in a top and bottom and just figured that out this year.) Many companies now offer free shipping and returns in the swimwear department and all I can say is “Hallelujah”. I encourage you to full take advantage of this perk and try them in the comfort of your own home. Trying on a bathing suit in a store is never fun. Those lights are just the worst am I right?! Don’t even get me started on those mirrors…😉
Apply self tanner the day before you plan to have your try-on session. This is one of my favorite tricks. This time of the year is the worst to try on swimwear, but if you want a cute and flatterring suit, it is a necessary evil. Having a golden glow makes this process way more fun, trust me.( Here are some of my best tips for applying self tanner. The Mitt is crucial for an even application. I learned that lesson the hard way. ) Your suits will look 1000X better, I promise.
SOME FABULOUS SLEF TANNERS:
Take your time. Really set aside a chunk of time to go through this process. Maybe 2 hours, depending on how many suits you ordered. Don’t try them on in a hurry. With each suit, move around, sit down, do a happy dance and some stretches. This will help you determine how it wears. We want to make sure our girls stay tucked in and we are covered in all of the right places. If you have young kids and are active with them in the pool and at the beach, this is really crucial.
Light some candles and dim the lights. There is something so flattering about candle light. It gives you this creamy complexion and ethereal glow. Heck, what better time to take advantage of that, then when trying on bathing suits? Light those candles, baby!
Have fun with it. Turn your try on session into a mini fashion show. Blast your favorite tunes, pour yourself a glass of wine and get going. I personally like to do this when I have a couple of hours to myself and can really enjoy some peace and quiet. Oh, I also crank the heat, so it feels like a tropical island, but don’t tell my husband that part.This definitely beats going out into the freezing cold to try on swimsuits in a hideous fitting room, don’t you think.
Now that we have our process down, here are some of my most favorite, flattering and affordable swimsuits I have found.
THE MOST FLATTERING & AFFORDABLE BATHING SUITS FOR MOMS
From top to bottom, left to right
- The Sidestroke by Summersalt is not the most affordable in the bunch, but worth every penny. It also comes in a 2-piece option and many, many different color options, as well as solid colors. It offers ample butt coverage, moves with you, and also has a bit of compression to smooth out those lumps and bumps. Further, it is made from recycled materials and has SPF50. A total winner in my book.
- In the Forest One-Piece by CUPSHE. This suit is so affordable and so, so cute. I was hesitant to try this brand, but I can not say enough about the quality for the price. They do have their won website, but it seems trying to make a return there is a pain in the butt. I ordered mine from amazon and they have a 30 day return policy. They do run small, so I sugggest ordering one size up.
- One Shoulder Bikini from Old Navy. Old Navy has really stepped up their swim suit game this season. They have so many flattering choices and an amazing plus size collection. I could not believe the quality. This bikini is flattering on the mom bod, as it provides ample coverage on the top and bottom, but still looks cute. I was unsure about the high waisted bottoms, but they were surprisingly flattering. This suit also come in a bunch of colors and patterns, but I am just a sucker for a good stripe.
- Off The Should Swimsuit by Old Navy. Another super cute option from Old Navy. Again, I am just addicted to stripes, but this also come in a few patterns and solid colors and is very comfortable as well. I personally found Old NAvy bathing suits to run true to size. So just look up the size guide and order accordingly.
- Stay Young Striped One-Piece by CUPSHE. Another cheap Amazon option. This one is great, because you can adjust the waist and the straps to really make it fit your body. I also love that allof their bathing suits come in a cute, waterproof re-usable zippered tote, which is absolutely perfect for tossing into you beach bag to stow your wet bathing suit if you are heading out to dinner after. Again, order up one size.
- Plunge V Neck One-Piece by J.Crew. This is an oldie but a goodie. I got this bathing suit a couple of years ago and love its ultra flattering style. It comes in the most beautiful pink and mint green this year, as well as a cute striped version, but I have enough of those. I will be getting the mint green one this season. I order up one size from my regular size to provide ample coverage for my girsl, but if you have a smaller chest, your regular size should work just fine.
SHOP THIS POST:
There you have it! All of my best tips and choices for bathing suit shopping. Follow along on my Instagram and Instastories next week to see some of these suits in action! I hope this helps you and you find a suit you love! Please let me know, how you do and what suit you end up loving. I always love hearing success stories.
Have a great weekend, girlies and stay warm and toasty.