Let’s talk foundation. A well chosen foundation can be magical, and we all have our favorites depending on skin type and concerns we would like to solve. I have done makeup on hundreds of women and wanted to share with you my top favorite foundations. I use all of these formulas personally and have found that they all cover most concerns, so one of them is bound to be right for you as well. I am a big believer in spending a little more money on foundation. I love finding a beauty bargain and have tried 100’s of drugstore foundations, but have yet to find one that I truly love. I will be the first person to tell you where to save your pennies in the makeup department, but foundation is not one of them. You get what you pay for in this case. Scrimp on your mascara instead.
That being said, a good primer is also essential in making your makeup application go on smoother and last longer. Think of primer as a base coat for your face. You wouldn’t paint your walls without priming them, right?! The same goes for your face. This primer is hands down, my favorite one of all time. I always go back to it and just love how my foundation wears with it. This one is particularly excellent for dry skin (I like to use it during the winter) and I always like to offer a budget friendly alternative, so this is my favorite drugstore primer.
Anyway, I digress, I have included a detailed description of each foundation, ranging from sheer to full coverage, and hope you will find a new favorite among them.
1) I love using this Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation. Although it is quite similar to the very popular Bare Minerals foundation that I used for years, I prefer this packaging (less mess) and I find the foundation itself more user friendly. This is a full a coverage foundation, but is definitely buildable, meaning you can start sheer and add more. It provides a flawless, non cakey finish that last all day long, especially when using it in conjunction with a primer. You do need a special brush to apply this with, as you are literally buffing it into the skin. This brush is great and works well with said foundation and comes in handy at other times as well, so it is a worthwhile investment.
2) On the weekends, I try to give my skin a break and enjoy wearing less makeup. I love using this tinted moisturizer. It is hydrating and leaves a luminous sheen, making me feel fresh and glowy! I just add some gloss, mascara and a little blush and I am good to go.
3) This It Cosmetics Your Skin but better CC cream is da bomb diggity! I talk about it all the time and I can not tell you how much I love this stuff. It does a fantastic job of evening out my skin tone and reducing my redness from my rosacea. It is pure magic. I have told so may people about it and everyone has loved it and thanked me for the recommendation. (You are welcome!) It covers everything, yet still lets your skin shine through and look completely glowing and natural. Not sure how they do it, but it is pure magic.
4) I recently re-discovered this Bobbi Brown Stick Foundation. I use this on a lot of brides. It works on most skin types and looks beautiful and flawless in pictures as well as real life. This is a cream based foundation, so it is gives a little bit of a fuller coverage. I prefer wearing it during the Fall and Winter where makeup is a little more refined and polished. I also love how portable and mess-free this stick is. Great for travel! With cream foundations, the key to applying it properly is to warm the product up with your fingers first. This will give you the most natural looking finish.
5) If you are not a foundation girl, but are looking for something sheer to even out your skin tone, this is the one is for you! The texture is extremely light, like water, and it feels like nothing at all. Yet, somehow it miraculously manages to even out your complexion and make you look like you have perfect skin. Who doesn’t want that? I used this almost exclusively during the summer and I was so glad I discovered it. It is that perfect balance of not too much and not too little. In one word, perfection! Just remember to shake it first.